Sunday, December 25, 2005

The BIG day 8 and 9

Apparently, this is the beginning of the end, at least me feeling so sick. I probably have a few more ahead of me. I am so looking forward to eating a PaPa John's thin crust pizza with the works and not giving it a thought whether it will make me sick or if I can only eat four and a half baby bites. Right now, the only real food that would compare to that is an orange popsicle.

Among other things, sometime around day 8 is when the mucosa stops being able to absorb regular doses of oral antibiotic medicine and since they have me on two, that puts me at a slight disadvantage. Apparently my fever was slowly rising the previous day or two which meant my internal bacteria were beginning to get the upper hand. Another indication was that I stayed cold all the time (now I am actually sweating in the same temperature room I was shivering in a few hours ago with same amount of clothes.)

About eight last night I felt like I had flu times ten only no sinus trouble. My temp was 101.3. I called station 94 to report it and was told I needed to come in for an IV drip of antibiotics (which I will be doing for the next several days). The drip went for a couple of hours and collect more blood and urine specimen. They gave me some Tylenol and I felt fairly decent when I left. Same thing begins all over again today.

LATER... well, it wasn't exactly the same thing. I went in at 10 AM to get blood work, day antibiotics, and platelets. As it turned out, in addition to that, I got two units of blood and my nightly antibiotics. We walked out of the hospital about 8:30. The SS Minnow set out for a two hour cruise and wound up marooned at station 94 for ten hours. Just kidding.

I did get to eat dinner while I was there - Meat Loaf w/mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes with beef gravy, green beans, and tapioca pudding - yum! I guess you noticed all the extra "sauce." When your mouth doesn't make the sauce, the food should - 'nuf said.

I needed all the extra stuff that kept me there longer obviously. I can't complain because every hour spent at station 94 is one less hour for me to get in trouble or infected somewhere else. These next several days, "Will be froth with peril," the Oracle, O' Brother.

Stay tuned for the continuing saga. I am told things should slowly get better from here on out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home