Wednesday, December 14, 2005

DAY -2

In the stem cell transplant world of time management and record keeping, we count the days. Everything revolves around infusion of stem cells. This is DAY ZERO. Chemo days are prior to infusion so they are negative. Days after infusion are counted with a view to the day engraftment occurs. We may continue to count until at some point in the future we become apathetic. There will be a 100 day checkup. There will be some other milestones along the way and we will jump off that bridge when we come to it.

Me and Hickman are getting along better and better. I almost don't know it is there except for the two tubes taped to my chest.

I was issued a mask and told to wear it everywhere I go in public and outside my room at the Transplant House. Wearing the mask isn't much fun but getting someone else's disease is less fun. It isn't unusual to see a lot of people wearing masks at the clinic and even a few people at WalMart or at other stores.

I had my first of two rounds of Melphalan this morning. The RN commented there was enough Melphalan in the bag to kill three people - interesting. I told him I have nine lives. The Melphalan will begin killing bone marrow, mucosa, and other fast growing cells beginning today. It basically leaves the red and white blood cells I have alone so I will not begin to get really immunosuppressed for a few days. The RN told me I will feel like I have the flu times ten. I picked up about ten bottles of pills at the pharmacy this morning so I am hoping that will help me feel as good as possible.

I'm supposed to get up and move around and be as active as possible so I probably should get up from here and go up and down the three flights of stares here in the house a couple more times. Stay tuned for further developments. We publish all the news that is the news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home