Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mother on Hospice

When my mother was discharged from the hospital a few weeks ago, the doctor didn't give her six months to live. Last week, my sister who has basically been living with mother for a month, took him up on that and sighed mother up on Hospice. It is beginning to look very grim for her survival and basically, she has lost the will to live. Her illness caused her to loose so much muscle mass and her appetite is so poor, she is not able to recover. I suppose I said my last good by to her today. If she is with us two more weeks, I will see her alive again when we go to relieve my sister again. Hospice has given her a very nice hospital bed which makes it much easier to make her as comfortable as possible. When a person has lost the majority of their fat and muscle, it is extremely difficult to be anything but in pain when awake. She sleeps about twenty hours a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home